View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DMC

Yes, but... does it really matter how much or how little? If there's a problem that you're noticing, it's a problem. Otherwise, you wouldn't have noticed it, and you wouldn't have found this place.

I struggled with that at first too. "Well, it's only a couple of beers." Except it was far more than I realized, which is why I noticed his behavioral changes.

My Ex-Alcoholic Husband (XAH) was not abusive, and even when he was falling down drunk, was not mean intentionally. He was a nice guy, but he was totally inert. Did nothing. He never left the house. He wasn't a partner. He was the proverbial bump on a log. True, he didn't cheat, was mostly honest, and was nice. But that doesn't cut it. (At least in my book.) For all practical purposes, he worshiped the ground I walked on. But he wasn't a PARTNER in life, which is what I expected of a husband (and he'd started out as). As many here will attest, alcoholism is unfortunately progressive, and while mine started with a career, it somehow fell by the wayside along the path.

Hang in there and keep reading. You aren't alone.