View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

I have been sober for a bit over 3 years. I did not go to a bar until I was almost 2 years sober. In the past year, I've been in bars maybe 25 times. I will only go to a bar if I have a reason - eg. hooking up with friends, a good band.

For me, it depends on a couple of things. First, who I'm with. If there is a non-drinker or moderade drinker (eg. one or two drinks) in the bunch, I feel totally relaxed. Last week I was with a group of people who were all binge drinking and it was not fun. Really felt uneasy, like an outsider (I suppose I was in a way).

Second, my state of mind or as they say in AA, my spiritual fitness. If I'm tired, stressed, cranky etc. probably not a good time for me to be around people who are drinking. If I feel strong, confident, happy, no problem.

I guess it kinda makes sense though. As a non-drinker, why would I want to hang around people getting drunk or go out when I'm feeling crappy?

A "night out" means something quite different now that I don't drink or "need" alcohol to have fun. Concerts, sporting events, dinner, movies, coffee...even stuff with my kids. I have a much more vibrant social life in sobriety than alcohol could ever give me.