Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I did various kinds of therapy for years, and it didn't do much good. Maybe because I was still drinking? Hrm..

Anyway, I've gone to two different therapists in sobriety, both for very specific purposes. The first time, I went for assertiveness training. The second time, I was having anxiety attacks and asked to be taught some specific meditation techniques to deal with it. Both therapists were very familiar with AA (one was sober 25+ years in AA).

My suggestion? If you are looking for something specific--ways to deal nonpharmaceutically with depression--go in with a list of questions. I would not discourage you to see a therapist for depression, though I will say that I took antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication for many years, and when I detoxed, I went off everything. After taking my steps, I didn't need them anymore.

Whether you need additional help outside of good sponsorship remains to be seen, and you'll have to be the one to determine that. I can see where someone with "book learning" who's also familiar with the program could be helpful, though $200/hr. seems steep (I paid between $90 & $125).

Peace & Love,
Sugah