Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OutofIdeas75

Originally Posted by Akayla View Post
And one thing I forgot to mention; in trying to find a detox place, it was difficult because my drug of choice was a legally prescribed pill. The place I am going to now luckily specializes in pill addiction, but another thing that frightens me in the strangest way is I feel like I am "less" of an addict than someone on a different or more hard narcotic, or an alcoholic (which technically, I am too)-- thus not really needing help.

My family thinks I am being ridiculous going to detox again for a legal substance my doctor prescribes me, and I have noticed its been difficult to find fellow benzo users. I feel so alone in that regard, although I know here...it doesn't matter you DoC, you're still welcome and supported, but this has been a real problem for me...not being taken seriously as an addict by anyone but other addicts, especially my family.

Does anyone have an experience anything like that?
I actually have a lot of friends who are benzo addicts...and a few who have kicked the habit. Those who have kicked it have been very careful to stay away from it.

Seeking treatment for an addiction isn't ridiculous. It's courageous. You're being honest and are doing the right thing. Xanax is a seriously dangerous pill to take in excess and admitting you have a problem is both embarrassing and a step in the right direction. God, I know I just sounded very cliche....sorry.