Thread: My first post
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
djayr
Lord Have Mercy

Welcome. I'm sorry for your difficult situation. Living with an alcoholic wife can make a person feel trapped. Especially when you remember the most beautiful woman who you married years ago, and you hope she comes back somehow.

I think of my AW as 2 people in one body. The normal person I once knew, versus the drinking person who lies, is inconsiderate, etc. Unfortunately, as long as she is drinking, the person I love is basically dead. If she quits, maybe there's hope, maybe -- but that's on her.

The concept of detachment implies that you can somehow step back and look at the situation without emotion. Almost like looking through someone else's eyes -- like you are watching a movie. I see my wife as a sick person, or crazy person, when I look at her this way. It's very sad.

You are dealing with some serious insanity. Believe it or not, you CAN get out. Humoring her or waiting it out or suffering through it -- these do not work. I am personally filed for divorce at this point, something I NEVER thought would happen. Yet I am relieved because I'm doing something, which is way better than doing nothing.

Best wishes to you -- and hang in there!