Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mimic

I think my boyfriend of 7 years is an alcoholic?

I think Boyfriend is an alcoholic. My reasons:

He drinks alone a lot.
He will easily kill a 12-pack of bottled in a few hours
He drinks to intoxication, by himself
If he's drinking a mixed drink with liquor, he will constantly top it off with more liquor
He's still having problems with wetting himself after too many drinks and going to sleep
He says he will control his drinking, but he's still getting drunk
The first thing he does after work is either go to the bar, or crack open a beer at home
He jokes about being an alcolohic by blood (He's Irish)

His drinking has been ramping back up over the last few months, but it came to a head last night when he was having drinks while I was chillin'. I went to bed and asked when he'd be in. He said in a couple hours. Couple hours passes and here comes Boyfriend, sloshed. He stumbles into the bedroom, stumbles into my altar (I have yet to check to see if there is any damage), trip and crash-lands on the floor on my side of the bed. I thought he was going to go into the sliding glass doors. He hit the floor and decided to just pass out there. And he did. He also wet himself (though he had the foresight to put a towel underneath himself). He's not awake yet, so I don't know if he's going to have any remorse. I don't know how much more I can take. He KNOWS how I feel about alcoholics (both parents were alcoholics, my mother severely), and yet I think he's become one. I want to confront him about it but it's extremely painful to think about. I cannot deal with dating an alcoholic, but the more I think about it, the more I think I AM dating an alcoholic, and I simply can't stick around if he gets defensive or denies his problem when I confront him about it. That on top of our other problems...it's too much. I want to be his support group, but if he doesn't think he has a problem, I can't help him.

He thinks because he doesn't drink himself into a stupor every day, or even have a drink every day, that he doesn't have a problem. I don't want to leave him, because I love him, but this is one problem in a whole basket-full that he refuses to take seriously. I don't know what to do. I don't know who to turn to. I feel alone.