View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Although "forever" would be the goal for a majority of alcoholics, after reading many posts I think many would like to accomplish a few years or even a few months of sobriety to turn their lives around. I really like the "one day at a time" mantra, because it gets people started in the right direction. I think forever may be the ultimate goal, but the journey of a million miles starts with the first step. Many recovering alcoholics once having some sober time under their belt may test the waters again because it is human nature to want what we can't have. But I have found that once I slipped back into the old habits I had enough knowledge to realize that I could stay sober and enjoy it, and alcohol wasn't what I wanted. So basically the more sober time you can get the easier it is to realize your transgression if you slip and get back with your program. At least that is how it worked for me.

I was contemplating the "forever" thing last night because I was talking to a heavy drinker on Saturday about me quitting forever. I then realized that not only would an alcoholic have a hard time quitting alcohol forever but so would any drinker who enjoyed drinking. Even though it may not be the obsession that it is for the true alcoholic, if you told anyone that could never have something again that they enjoyed immensely, that they used at every celebration and used to relax in their time of leisure, would they also become mentally obsessed with the thought of never having it again?

I think most of the drinkers I know would, even if alcohol wasn't a daily issue for them. Basically by taking something away forever a person will automatically think they will be missing out on some level and mentally crave what they can't have.

I think this theory would hold true for types of food, and many other things that we have been programmed to enjoy. Abstinence from anything that is perceived as enjoyable will cause a mental craving for the thing they are forbidden to have, even if it doesn't play a large role in their daily life. Forever is a term that many people, alcoholic or not, have a hard time coming to grips with.

But in reality I wasn't suggesting anything, maybe you are trying to nitpick my post a little too hard.