View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

LeftFootPrints, thank you for posting and sharing your situation with us. I too was raised in an alcoholic home and understand what you are going through. I know it is a very difficult way to live your life. My father is an alcoholic and what you say here about your mom:
i haven't directly been able to confront it because she still views me as a little kid and won't take any advice from me, though i act like more of an adult than she does.
was true in my circumstances too. My father is still this way with me and I am over 40 years old!

Here is a link to AlAnon/Alateen: How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico Here you can search and find a meeting in your area. AlAnon helped me to understand how growing up in an alcoholic home affected me and it taught me the tools I needed to learn to deal with alcoholism.

About this LeftFootPrints:
i know that without me in the house she would lose any control that she still has over herself.
Your mother is an adult. And as an adult she is responsible for her own health, safety, and behavior. Not you. I know it is difficult not to worry and feel that you need to take care of her but honestly, you need to take care of YOU FIRST. At 17, I left home because the alcoholism had gotten so bad I just could not live there anymore. Is there a place you can go such as your dad's or a friend's to live while you finish out high school?