View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Supercrew

There is No Approved Method, Just Do It.

I am writing this to any newcomers to the board, or anyone who hasn't found a way to get sober and quit drinking/drugging for an extended period of time.

There are many ways to accomplish this goal. It is hard as hell to do it, but it is very worthwhile, and for myself it has improved my life dramatically. Do I think I have everything figured out? No, but I feel very confident that with continuous work toward my goal I eventually will.

Obviously there are many diferent people posting and they are trying and using many different methods, and they all want to help you. A method that works for someone else might not work for you, but don't discount the fact that there are many different ways to accomplish the goal of sobriety. So keep trying.

Now AA was not my chosen path, but it does work tremendously for many, many people, and although I may sometimes question some of the ideas and methods used by AA, it in no way means that I am not in support of AA and anyone who finds sobriety through it. But I recommend that if you are looking to use a program ask people here about it. Most people become experts in their programs when they work it daily and they are proud to talk about it.

For those on the board who might think of me as anti AA, I apologize, but I am not. But sometimes I will question some of the posts because I know, at least for myself, I would have been scared away from AA by some of the posts that I have read about having to change who you are as a person, etc and some of the rigidity of the program based on what is written on these boards. I attended a year of AA, and although I never worked the steps, because I wasn't there of my own free will, (court mandated), it was a very pleasant experience with alot of good people trying to quit drinking, and trying to help others. Now some people may do better and thrive under a very rigid program and may be looking for that. I was not, and reading about it here daily kind of scares me, because if it truly were the only program available to me I would have been scared to try it, and might have decided to continue drinking. And the propaganda that you may be able to abstain from drinking but you won't be happily sober if you are a "true alcoholic" should be left to the AA tables and not used to recruit people in their weakest moments. AA is a fantastic program, but it is not the only way to become happily sober no matter what kind of drinking problem you have.

So my message is whether you plan on using AA, SMART, or any number of others programs available or even if you want to do it on your own like I did and develop your own wellness program and use it along with a daily helping of SR. What ever you decide, just do it, and even though it may be hard and hurt in the beginning it will be well worth it in the long run! Have a great sober day!!