View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Anyway, has anyone ever felt like spending time on SR kinda enforces codie behavior?
I can't say that spending time on SR reinforces my codependence, although I do get overwhelmed sometimes at the number of new posters who arrive each day telling the same horrible story that we all have lived through in some form or another. The enormity of the problem of alcoholism become pretty obvious after you spend enough time here.

I do think that SR gives me an outlet for my desire to help people by sharing my ES&H. However, it took me a while in the beginning to get the hang of sharing without feeling the need to force my opinions on others. SR, for me, has been a great exercise in learning how to share with others and discover my own strengths and weaknesses. Yes, like Thumper says, I caught myself saying the same thing to the same person in multiple ways and that taught me how to just say it once. When I can't let go, I know there is something I need to work on.

Do I dare say that I get caught back up in my old "drama" because I'm reading my life from a different author?
I think it is easy to get caught up in someone else's life, even if they are just posting about it on a web page like this. For me, it can become an exercise in Detachment. This also has taught me how I think in terms of Right and Wrong, that is, me thinking I am "right" (for example, when I have been through something someone is posting about) and anyone who does not agree with me must be "wrong." When, in fact, there IS no right and wrong in this regard. Everyone has their own way of doing things, their own timing, and their own lives. All I can do is share myself and maybe something will be helpful.

Suggestions?
When I feel triggered by a thread, especially if I find myself responding quickly to something someone has said, I stop myself, walk away and look within. Discovering and investigating my triggers here helps me to see how I am triggered, and react to those triggers, in my own life.