View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wpainterw

The Second Most Dangerous Time

When, do you think, is the second most dangerous time? I think many would agree that the first most dangerous time is when you've been drinking heavily for a long time and the situation is rapidly slipping out of control. Perhaps you're on your way back from a bar or party, with a blood alcohol level pretty high and driving on a suspended license with two DUI's to your credit. And suddenly in the rear view mirror you see those red lights flashing and you pull over to the side of the road and wait.
Anyway, what's the second most dangerous? I submit that that may be when you've finally managed to get sober for about a week. You've done it on your own and didn't go to a rehab. You're feeling pretty proud of yourself, feeling good physically, really a bit elated. "Guess I had been drinking a little too much" you might say. "I'm going to give it up. Well, anyway I'm going to be much more careful. Maybe a glass of wine, just one...."
Some counselor once referred to this as the "flight into recovery." From my own experience that may be the second most dangerous time. I like to think of a book I once read about a professional tiger hunter in India, who was often called in to dispose of a man eating tiger. He said he had spent most of the day stalking the tiger and felt he was getting pretty close, was pretty pleased about how things were going, how skillful he was. Then suddenly he had a funny feeling and, glancing over his shoulder, saw the big cat four feet behind him, perched on a rock, just ready to pounce, since, all that time, that cat had been stalking him....!
So any of you folks out there- is that the second most dangerous? Is there also a third, a fourth...? Well you take it from here!

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 02-20-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo