Thread: Just for Today
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

From Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II January 7

“Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax.” How simple that sounded until I tried to do it. I found it difficult to spend even a little time alone – thirty quiet minutes out of my busy schedule were far too many! So I started with five minutes. In time I was able to find ten, and then twenty, and then thirty minutes for myself.

Amazingly, these quiet hours are restoring me to sanity. It is through these times with myself, much of which is spent in prayer and meditation, that I find the peace and power of my God.

As a result, I have learned to tolerate and even enjoy my own company. Now, no matter what is going on, I need this half hour every day to get a perspective on my life. By sitting quietly in the midst of turmoil, I find that I am not alone. If I take the time, my Higher Power sends the message.

Today’s Reminder:

I care enough about myself to take a quiet half hour to relax. But if a half hour is more than I can manage, I can let that be all right. Whatever time I give to myself will be a step forward. If I can stop the wheels from turning for even a few moments, my Higher Power can take charge and steer me in the right direction.

“Take rest; a field that has rested gives a beautiful crop.” Ovid