View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bubblehead

Originally Posted by jerseytomato View Post
I have read that when we are drinking alcohol we lose the ability to absorb Vitamin B so many of us alcoholics are deficient in it. Good sources of Vitamin B are beef, eggs and seafood. Also, you might try avoiding caffeine. I could never give up coffee all together though! I still need my morning fix.
This is not medical advice, etc. This is just from my reading. The way I understand what I have read, you cannot absorb the full amount of Thiamine if there is alcohol in your intestines at the same time as the Thiamine. That as far as I know only applies to Thiaminw (vitamin b1). So if there is anyone out there still drinking, I would not discourage them from taking a B vitamin daily, especially with your breakfast or as far away from your alcohol intake as possible. Even if someone drinks all day, you don't absorb most of it, but some is better than none.
I don't drink anymore but I have found a Super B complex daily really helps for my anxiety. My mother is suffering from alcohol related dementia (found out she is still drinking) and refuses to take them. I wish she would as some of the damage can be reversible if you don't remain deficient in Thiamine