Thread: Pavlov's Dog
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Murray4x5
Proud Neonephalist

I started because of being a painfully shy stutterer who would be transformed into a 'super happy joking around meet anybody kind of guy' when drunk.

There must be some sort of "tipping point" when a person has consumed enough alcohol in a certain time span which triggers the brain to begin creating more dopamine receptors, and it's that point at which one starts sliding down the slope from problem drinker to full blown alcoholic. Every person's genetic makeup, personality, and life experience will put that tipping point in a different place.

Knowing this stuff we're talking about empowers me. It explains everything. It makes it blazingly clear that one drink will equal many drinks. It lets me know that if I relapse, it will result in a nastier low point before I manage to get sober again, if at all.

My job will be to hold onto this knowledge, despite whatever Life may throw at me.

No matter how many layers of defence a person might have, be they spiritually or scientifically based, ultimately it comes down to the moment just before the glass touches your lips and you decide to take that first drink.

One equals many. One equals many. One equals many...

Murray