View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stevie1

Drinking to combat fatigue.

I am remembering one reason I drank - this one goes back 20 years at least.

To combat fatigue. Which is I believe tied to depression/brain cooties/hormones...I'm not talking about being a bit tired, but crashing, red-rimmed eyed, if I lie down I'll sleep for ten hours, foggy brain, exhausted, fatigue. It's been bad since I quit drinking almost a month ago.

Drinking woke me up, well until it made me pass out, that is.

I worked a short day today (am in a very physically active line of work), came home, a gray, damp afternoon....I've been cleaning and trying to keep moving instead of crashing on the bed. Probably the only reason I didn't crash was because I promised to give someone a ride to a meeting tonight and it's one I actually want to go to.

Hey wow, you want to know how therapeutic writing this stuff down is? I just figured out a major culprit! Sugar and carbs! Dummy me, I just made the connection...I have been inhaling sugary food since I quit drinking, like mass quantities, and I am fairly small and skinny and all that sugar is hitting me like a ton of big fat sugary bricks.

So...that's the ticket, right? Quit with the mountains of sugar and carbs and go back to eating right. Plus now that it's not elebenty-seven degrees below freezing in the morning and eventually they'll move the stupid clock back to its rightful position so I have more light in the morning, start taking the dogs for longer and better runs before work.

Sheesh, I started to ask a question (how to I quit feeling so freaking tired all the time) then figured out the answer, I think. Mainly, eat better.

I do take a multi plus extra vit D in winter, would extra B vites help? In addition to not eating like Jabba the Hutt, that is.

Sorry this isn't a very thought-provoking or weighty (ha, ha) post but I think this is something quite a few people deal with when getting sober. Also my brain is very sluggish right now, probably due to the half a pecan coffee cake I just ate for a mid-afternoon snack.