View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Question Too close for comfort?

Ok, this may be a silly question...or maybe not. But I am really struggling with this one this week and could use a different perspective.

I attend an Al-Anon group pretty far away from where I live. I did that on purpose - it was so threatening to my A and I wanted some distance. Well...I really like the group but the schedule is starting to be hard to accommodate during the week...this group meets at lunchtime, my lunchtimes seem to get busier and busier at the office. Taking 1.5 hours to go to a meeting right in the middle of the workday is becoming tricky. Weekends are ok, but I am now down to two meetings a week, on the weekends and I would really like to find a sponsor and really start working the program.

There IS a group that meets in my town two evenings a week. I would like to check it out for convenience reasons, BUT this is the Al-Anon group that meets at the same location and same time as my RAH's AA home group. Given the feelings in the past about my attendance at Al-Anon, and given we are now separated, and given he just told me off for asking him questions about AA, I am uncomfortable going to this meeting to check it out. I know I can do whatever I darn well choose - but I am also torn between respect and distance (as it seems to be important to him right now) and convenience for me.

So should I talk with him about it? Or just say to heck with it and just go, knowing our paths will cross, or do I say forget it and keep going to the group I've been with already? Anyone else run into this kind of proximity issue?