View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
I've been trying to figure out what this means. Can you elaborate please?
Yes, I'll do my best to explain what I mean...

Regarding this:
And what's even scaring me more is the possibility that everyone else thinks my quitting is a good thing and perhaps overdue. And that's a sinking realization that doesn't feel too good at all.
From my perspective, at a month and a half sober, I would have enough of my own stuff going on, enough worrying and feeling bad, without even thinking about what is going on with anyone else. I have to own my own stuff and let everyone else own their's. I have to work on my own sobriety, for myself, not for anyone else or because of what anyone else thinks, says or does.

I can't control what other people think. And other people experience and understand me through their own filters. One person may see me one way and another person may see me a completely different way. And, in fact, this is true. Everyone sees, understands, and experiences me through their own selves. As I do them.

When I worry and fret and even freak out over what I believe others think about me, or what they think is best for me, or what I believe others think I should or should not do, I have to ground myself. Because being scared, stressed, or worried is detrimental to me. And I imagine being that way would be detrimental to your sobriety. I often have to remind myself that what other people think about me is none of my business. And that puts me back in charge of the only thing I can control: Me. And usually, that begins with how I think.

Reset, what you attribute to how OTHERS may be thinking, may be simply what YOU are thinking is best for you. It is OK for you to do what is best for you. Regardless of what anyone else thinks.