View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jayscott

Alcoholic suicide in extended family

It's taken me almost a week to find the energy to write about this...last week, one of my AW's aunts committed suicide. She was an alcoholic. Her condition had destroyed her family to the point that her children had broken all ties -- one of her sons didn't even go to the coroner's office. There was no funeral or memorial, because there weren't enough people who would have cared enough to travel. It was a tragic story.

She died the way she lived: by alcohol. She swallowed every pill in the house she could find and drank whatever alcohol was left in the house.

I share this story in the hopes that others may find it in a time of need, and find the strength to begin or continue on a path to recovery. For the addict, there is an opportunity to save yourself and salvage your relationships with the people who love you. For the people caught in the whirlwind of an addict's self-destruction, the worst-case scenario is real and you cannot choose the addict's path. You can only choose your own, and how much suffering you are willing to endure to feed another person's disease.

May she finally find peace with herself.

Last edited by jayscott; 02-15-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Clarified title