View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thumper

Originally Posted by crazycatlady View Post
Well just talked to the hospital, they are not transfering her to a sub-acute nursing facility. I am so beyond frustrated with the hospital, as they have no answers for her continued bouts of confusion. She sounded less confused this morning, but still not 100% herslef. If this could be something other than detox, should they really be transfering her? This whole situation is just making me sick.
Not or now?

The medical detox is most likely over. She is safe to leave the hospital in that regard but not sure about the confusion? I hope you mean she is now being transferred to a nursing facility.

I know from experience with my MIL that confusion and anxiety are extremely difficult and complex issues to manage. Difficult for everyone, them, the professionals, and the family. Addiction, age, medications, general health, crisis (like breaking an ankle), reactions to anesthesia if she had any, all play a roll for the elderly especially. I don't think the hospital is any better at addressing that issue then a nursing facility - less so probably. Is there a social worker or case manager assigned to her? If so they probably have 'care meetings' or something like that and the issue of detox and early recovery should be mentioned at that time. I don't know what resources might be available. IME you have to advocate strongly with both the facility and your mother. My MIL did not have forceful children. They did not challenge her and in the end, she paid the price. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about that though.

I don't know if I'd classify my MIL as an alcoholic but she did drink and when she quit drinking due to age and health issues her anxiety went up, and up, and up. As her mobility (pain) and health got worse, it went through the roof. It was a never ending cycle of anxiety, panic attacks, not being able to sleep, rebounding anxiety and insomnia from all the meds they were giving her. So difficult.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.