Thread: My situation
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

hi cp85rn...and to SR.

I'm glad you found this site. The people here saved my hide so many times. There's lots of wisdom, humour and support to be found here.

I just wanted to speak to a few things in your initial and subsequent posts.

Even if your AH (alcoholic husband) "only" binge drinks every few months, YOU have a problem with his drinking...so there's a problem. Please try to remember that alcoholic is a progressive disease...it ends in death if left untreated. The binges will eventually get closer and closer together until he's a daily drinker.

As for speaking to your AH's father...you could, for the sake of getting support for yourself BUT I surmise that your goal is to somehow get him to talk to your AH and convince him to get treatment. Right?

Please remember that
You didn't CAUSE the drinking
You can't CONTROL the drinking
You can't CURE the drinking.

Nothing you say or do (and nothing anyone else says or does) can change your AH. You simply do not have that power. The only power you have is over the most important person in your life: YOU.

Please take care of yourself, because if you don't, no one else will.

And please (I'm speaking as a single mother of a toddler I had with an alcoholic), for the love of God, don't have children with this man until you're truly sure that he's been in recovery for at least a year.

I hope you keep coming back here to post and read as much as you need.