Thread: 2nd Step
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MrDavid

Step 2

Thanks for the topic.

When discussing the topic of God or Spirituality I usually like referring to the second step principle for Help. Here is the principle: Humility and an open mind can lead us to faith and every AA meeting is a reassurance that God can restore us to sanity if we rightly relate ourselves to him”. (Excerpt from the12&12)

The reason why I refer to the second step principle has something to do with the "faith" part that’s all. It says and I quote “Humility and an open mind can lead us to faith”. Faith is spoken here in general terms and can comprise many facets and sects not just ones associated with a specific religion. This God, as we understand him, can restore us to sanity if we align his will with ours.

I have many friends in AA who come from different backgrounds and different beliefs. I respect their decisions to purse whatever spiritual avenue they choose that can help them sustain a quality of life and ultimately sober living –one day at a time.

Some of these friends are profound atheists who claim no affiliation at all. They use the collective knowledge found in the rooms of AA as the God of their understanding. There are others, also, who worship idols and demigods and those too who confess a more natural holistic approach to faith. There are others -Like myself - who found comfort and peace under the loving arms of a savior called Jesus Christ. The key here is that we build upon some altar to a better life and do so by any faith building prospect possible, as long as we do this to improve our spiritual state, restore sanity in our lives of course, and do it without imposing those beliefs on others.

The point I’m trying to make is simple…There a many avenues leading to a faith that works and by choosing a “God of our Understanding” that aligns that faith to his/hers will is one of the key components to spiritual renewal. This renewal, I believe, and a renew sense of sanity can awaken our senses to the prospect of a better life one day at a time.
~God Bless~