View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sk8man121

I don't drink nearly enough anymore for tremors etc to be an issue. A beer or two on occasion is not going to cause me to seizure. And what's wrong with willpower if you've got it?

Regarding the anxiety meds, I should've been more clear. I took Xanax on and off for years with no issue. About 2 years ago, I started seeing a psychiatrist for the anxiety and was put on lexapro and klonopin. The issue was I wasnt well educated about benzos at the time, and thought nothing of his instructions to take them regularly. Needless to say, dosage went up and up until it was 3mg a day and I was on them for 8 months. I was finally able to taper off, but I know all about benzo withdrawal and the hell that results.

Fast forward to about a month ago; benzo-free for 8 months and off lexapro for 5. I'd been feeling TERRIBLE anxiety and started suffering panic attacks, one of which put me in the ER with a BPM close to 200. My doctor suggested we do a trial run of Xanax and, against my better knowledge, agreed. I took them for about a week at 1mg/day and of course it helped immensely. I feel like even though it was a short period, however, coming off has been terrible and I've had to reinstate a dose or two every few days just to handle the symptoms; intense anxiety, depersonalization and the whole nine yards. I haven't taken any for about 5 days and I'm done on them for good; my body just can't accept them anymore. I feel like since I had the issues with them a year ago, even a small amount is enough to hit me over the head.

Unfortunately, I don't have avpsychiatrist at the moment. My GP wants me to try celexa for the anxiety, which is chemically very similar to the lexapro. Id rather not, but if it helps me through the hump, it may not be a bad idea.

So yea.