View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sk8man121

Cutting back and anxiety

Hi all,

New here, and basically signed up because I have a question that only you guys will be able to answer. First, a bit about my history.

I'm 25, and have had severe anxiety problems for about 7 years. For a long time, smoking pot and drinking on a daily basis was my way out, as so many have said before.

Fast forward, and I have quit smoking pot and have gone from "needing" to drink every day to being able to only have a drink in social situations. I call it "flooding," in that the drinking began to do nothing for me anymore and I've slowly phased it out. I'll still have a beer every few days with dinner and a drink or two when I go out with friends, but as far as I'm concerned that is the extent of it and I don't see myself reverting back to my old habits.

That said, my anxiety and panic has been TERRIBLE as of late. I have this feeling I can't describe, other than being a hangover that I feel in my chest and heartbeat. Feel like crap, basically. I've done the anxiety med thing as of late and again, just another chemical I'm trying to avoid.

I suppose my question is is this common for people who cut back significantly on chemical intake, how long will it last, and what can I be doing to help it. I eat far healthier than ever before, try to exercise at least a few times a week (although I can't even step on a treadmill feeling like this without having a panic attack) etc etc.

Finally, there's the option of going on an SSRI to treat my anxiety; would rather stay off of it, but do you think it'd help in my case?

Thanks in advance.