Thread: How?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tansy

Originally Posted by brokenheartfool View Post
Well I think it totally sucks that the man you have loved for so long decided to get sober when it was just for his own benefit, instead of while he was with you. Now you're left feeling as if you caused his drinking, which you did not.
I think you got the short end of the stick here.
I think just about everybody gets the short end of the stick with an alcoholic spouse.

One caution though--if he can't figure out why he drank, then he might go back to it. A few months isn't much time. The true test of his sobriety is going to be year 2, or year 6, you get the idea.

I hope you can now focus on ways to make yourself happy. Get a little selfish!
He says he drank to cope but cope with what is the unknown question with no answer. I do feel like I cause it even tho I know I didn't but I do wonder if I triggered him off somehow. He says he's stopped cos his drinking cost him everything he cares about. I know it isn't long but it is better then he has ever done before so I am cautiously hopeful and now he isn't here it isn't such a big deal to me cos if he does fall off the wagon I don't have to deal with it. I know I had the short end of the stick. He knows it too. I think he needs counselling but he hasn't had any. He's not so selfish anymore which is nice and I am trying to do stuff for myself to make me happy for a change. If I am honest tho I feel empty inside now.