View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magichappens
Dancing To My Own Beat

I never learned to follow through or commit to anything. My Dad changes religions like I change dirty shirts. He has never followed through with much that I can think of. He doesn't have a core belief. He agrees with everyone, and his being seems to be totally dependent on what others think of him. Growing up with that, I didn't have much of an example to learn from. Through recovery, I know who I am today. I know what I want, what I think. I can commit to things because I'm not committing for all the wrong reasons. I commit to things because I want to. I can follow through because the results I will get are for me. I used to commit to things because I was supposed too. I committed because that's what others expected of me. I never thought of what I wanted. Recovery helped me to realize that what others think of me is not that important. It was more important for me to be true to myself. I felt like I would die if I let someone down. Now I know that I will be fine, and so will others if I disappoint them. Getting to know and care about myself has been one of the best relationships I have ever had. Hugs, Magic