Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
JayR

Thanks, Smacked . . . I'll promise you and others that I will read it.

Things are going very well here. My wife wanted to extend her appreciation to you - and all the others who've started to 'smarten us up' with the experiences and suggestions and warnings . . .

I'll report back in time. While we expect success, we know - as with all success - it starts with hard work and dedication. That really doesn't frighten either one of us - but I bet it might get a little tense at some point and we'll be better prepared now. I see the old twinkle back in her eye. Her nightsweats were absent last night and she slept through the night for a 2nd night in a row. (Though a good hot tub soak helped on Sunday night!!)

I am thinking it was a little worse for a little longer than I had earlier presumed . . . at least when considering how long she's suffered the menopausal symptoms which now seem more like they may indicate withdrawal from drinking . . . She didn't drink every day - or during the day. Only when she came home at night from the gym - or on the weekends. But the body's purging was more likely the cause of those issues - She blamed menopause.

Now she feels her hypocrisy in living a healthful lifestyle - but pouring poison down her throat - was a lightbulb moment. "What am I doing here? It doesn't match all the other self-discipline I show in my life. I need to change." She's driven at times. That will help. But she's also delicate - as I said earlier. She needs me - I need to know ALL about what she faces - and I'll learn from all these sources suggested as to what I need to do as we go.

By my pushing the panic button, we've started down that long road. She goes to her psychotherapist next week to work on the tricks her mind is playing, the possible cause behind the mind tricks making her feel the need to self-medicate . . . and a doctors appointment to check some of her other body chemistry levels. Multiple steps - not one magic pill . . .

I'm NOT declaring an early victory. It seems to me you think I am . . . But we've already decided on the only outcome we're going to be happy with. As with anything in life worth having, sacrifice is part of the deal . . . and our education on all things related to this issue of sobriety is absoutely necessary so we recognize the bad possibilities ahead - and derail them with our new 'tools' of coping mechanisms . . .

If Vegas was placing bets on a win or a loss . . . I'd bet heavy on 'win' . . . But she's got all the money here and only she can make the bet pay off. She's good with that.

I have to be. But I have faith in her ability. Let's see what happens when the first challenge arises - and then see how that goes.

One step at a time. One foot in front of the other.

Am I saying and feeling the right things now? It seems like it . . . Ain't pretty . . . but life hangs in the balance.