Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
smacked
Heathen

You're right, you don't know me.. however, based on what you wrote here, I do hope that you take some time to educate yourself about alcoholism and addiction. There's a great book, (lots of quotes/excerpts here), called Under the Influence, it might shed some light on some of your grand misconceptions.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I wish you the best.

Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Smacked . . .

I don't know you. We've never met. So how could my impressions about you be accurate? But here goes . . . because I think they are.

You took time out of YOUR day to help 2 people you don't even know in their road to recovery while baring your soul and offering stern warnings about the perils ahead. (As are others here)

If you tell me that selflessness wasn't always in you, I wouldn't believe you. If you try to tell me that you aren't a loving person, I'd say otherwise.

So, like my beautiful wife, how could you EVER think so poorly of yourself as to tear down the amazing and benevolent and selfless person in you by succumbing to alcoholism?

I see your greatness and I don't even know you. It's shown to me by your examples and courage in exposing yourself. Like my wife, you may well have doubted yourself - but your past behavior doesn't align with your present purity.

Booze caused that. What a shame because that belies the goodness in you - and the others here who share - victim or addict.

But booze cannot take away the beauty in you unless you let it. She started down the early path that all here discuss . . . and had loved herself enough in the past to love me enough to save herself - or should I say to 'start saving herself' . . .

We WILL make it if she doesn't just 'talk the talk' and also 'walks the walk' . . .

As she says to me, "it's time to shout out the doubt..."

Thank you, Smacked. You were inspired to comment in a way that resonated with many here. It's a gift I will treasure. I suspect my wife will feel similarly when I share this with her. Someone raised you right . . .