Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
neverenough

Hi all,

I'm new here. I don't want to go too much into my personal life, but things are on the right track for me. Despite my binge drinking, I graduated from a very good university and married my "college sweetheart." And, again, despite my binge drinking, I've managed to excel at my job, and am currently planning on buying a house and attending grad school.

Despite all of this, I feel like I've been pushing my luck. I rarely will go a day without drinking at least a few beers, and would easily drink 10+ beers on Friday, Saturday, and more recently (and alarmingly) on Sunday -- as well as the occasional weekday (*smacks forehead*). I have had to work from home on occasion due to terrible hangovers, and have gone to work a few times when I definitely shouldn't have (being obviously hung over).

After a recent binge where I drank 8+ drinks (not exactly sure how much, because I blacked out) over a few hours on a completely empty stomach, I've decided to put a stop to this. I'm sick of the guilt after binge drinking and dealing with hangovers. I want to succeed and excel in life and enjoy it to the fullest, not just "get by". I'm afraid of the damage that I've done to my brain (and could continue to do) and have decided to nip this thing in the bud.

I'm on day 9 (way longer than I've done without a drink, well, maybe since I first started drinking!) and am feeling absolutely great. I've told my wife about this problem (she had no idea -- I guess I was really good at hiding it) and have her support as well as the support of this forum. I always complained about never having enough time for certain things that I enjoy, and looking back -- that was rediculous. I was just too drunk during all of my free time to enjoy them.

Thanks all!
---Never