View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I have to agree here that the first year is the hardest. And they need to focus on themselves because if they don't - they can't stay sober. It seems so unfair that you have waited and waited and now he's sober and WTF?! He's still withdrawn and remote? I, too, wanted a quick fix and saw AA as that and then whoa - he's suddenly TWICE as self-centered?! However, I understand now it is what it needs to be, for him, to remain sober, and I need to continue to focus on myself and get the bulk of my needs elsewhere. Emphasis on "bulk", because hey, I am still married after all!

Anyway, it feels frustrating because it is frustrating. But try to re-frame it in your head that now is a time for you to be self centered, too. Are there things you've wanted and out off because of his drinking? Are you living your "dreams"? Do you have people outside of your marriage that can be proud of you (since he can't)?

And lastly, do you understand how he really feels about this job interview? He forced you into that by his own bad behavior; how can you expect him to be supportive and excited when he KNOWS he did this?! Can you, for a minute, imagine the guilt he must feel? You just aren't seeing it yet, but trust me, its there.

I am practicing my compassion now - this is where I am in my journey through recovery - recovery from life with an alcoholic, that is. We can't move forward without it, regardless of the outcome of the marriage.