Thread: forms for court
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Technically, a court can't order you to attend AA. They can order you to attend a recovery program, whether it be IOP, AA, SMART, etc. But they can't specifically order you to AA.

Some groups won't sign, as it's been said, but my group has no problem with it. Perhaps because several of our members with multiple years of sobriety began that way? Did their 90 days, or a year, or whatever, and continued on, contributing to the group.

There's a woman in our group now who's in a position like you. She's not coming because she has to (go somewhere), but because she wants to. She also has some trouble with the law, so she has a little notebook where she records the dates, times, and locations of meetings, and she asks someone to sign it to confirm that she's been there. I sign her book all the time. Gosh, I even use my full name (though my handwriting is so bad, I doubt anyone could puzzle it out).

Bottom line, though--whether the groups in your area are willing to sign something or not, you going and listening and taking the actions suggested to get sober (those you'll find in that first 164 pages of our book) will result in something more lasting than your current consequences.

Peace & Love,
Sugah