View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
glitter

In treatment, (imo and my experience in treatment) it's the group facilitator's job to get the group to focus on what triggers a person may have and how to recognize and help that person build tools to cope with those triggers. It should be about recovery and NOT using and NOT what, how much or where one used.

It's the individual's responsibility to do the work and be totally and completely HONEST with themself and others. If you're triggered, say so.

One thing I really didn't like about my Relapse Prevention group is that when we identified ourselves/checked-in at the begining of group (My name is ...., I'm a addict) the therapist had us also identify our drug of choice! In group I asked, what does it matter? I brought up that in NA they specifically state that it doesn't matter what or how much we used or who or connections were. I was told that it was so we could "identify" with each other?

Two things come to mind for me from my treatment center when I read the original post in this thread....

In my Relapse Prevention group during IOP there was the therapist (he was an MFT - addictions), me (an opiate addict) and 5-6 guys (all meth addicts). I can't remember exactly what was said but it had something to do with meth during our check-in. Every single one of the meth addicts were triggered really bad! They all became really squirrely and beet red. Most of them said they could literally taste the drug and felt a certain rumble in their gut. It was BIZARRE! I was the one who pointed out the red faces and then we all took a minute to deep breathe and just relax. From there on out we never checked-in stating our drug of choice.

During breaks at my treatment center many of us would go outside to smoke. The conversations outside for many many people consisted of the complete romantisizing of their use. It was awful. I don't mean to appear ageist, but it was always the younger people telling their stories and wearing their stories like a badge of honor or something; trying to compare stories and one-up each other. This was in the first weeks of recovery. Now, months later when I see these people (not all of them make it back for aftercare), the conversations are much different.

In my rehab the rule was always recovery focused and we weren't suppossed to talk about actual use. The facilitators had no control over what conversations took place outside during our breaks, but they did inside during groups. I think they did a pretty good job and changed the direction of a conversation when it strayed to the type of talk that went on outside.

I personally thrived by listening to other's stories (what it was like for them and what happened). There is a fine line however that I think the treatment facility is responsible for - the fine line between someone's story and the romantisizing of their use.

I'll say it again harnois - HONESTY. If you are triggered SAY SO to the group. If you go to meetings, stand up and say you are feeling like using. No one is going to judge you - you just may be surprised at the help you receive. Find a sponsor and be honest.

Use the tools you learn in treatment. Hold yourself accountable and act responsibly.

All the best...