Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
anewdaytosmile

You asked if my son was living at home. He was living at home until Feb 2010, when he was 22. At first we had him go to an outpatient program, but as they were changing his meds and he was detoxing from Oxy he became more and more psychotic, so he voluntarily went to a phosp and was admitted because he was talking crazy things about wanting to kill people. He was there for 3 weeks, while they tried to stabalize his meds, he had all kinds of bad reactions. It was a very difficult time for us.

We said he could not come back home and we found a sober house in the area and he continued with an outpatient program for a couple of months. Once they discharged him from the outpatient program, he was still at the sober house, and seeing a pdoc and tdoc, but started using again. He also became psychotic again and wanted to come home. We let him. With the understanding that he would need to move out once we found another place for him. Well things continued to go down hill and he started using in our house! And he thought we didn't know. I'm still not sure if he realizes that we knew he was using in our house because we could smell it and found evidence. (OH WELL...)

So we found a tdoc in the area that specialized in addiction. He recommended a sober house a couple of hours away that had an 18 month program and was very strict. We felt the only way we could convince our son to go there would be with an intervention and actually used a professional interventionist. We gave him the option of going to that rehab or being out of our lives. He choose to go to rehab. (well first to detox then to rehab)

It's only been 6 months but he seems to have gotten over the anger, I think, of us sending him there. He acts like he understands why we sent him and thanks us but I'm still not sure he really means what he says. But he does have another year in the housr. We go see him almost every weekend not and he's seeming better every time we see him.

It wasn't easy, but we weren't willing to kick him out on the streets without giving him an option of somewhere else to live, and he took it. But we did use a professional interventionist.

From your posts, it sounds like you and your kids are not safe, and you need to take some type of action.

Is your son using sleeping meds? Many of them do cause sleep walking and other pyschotic problems. Has he been drug tested to see if he is still using?

It's such a hard thing that you are going thru. I hope you can find some help in your area.

Be safe.
((((redbug))))