View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FireGirl

Taking him to detox on Friday

Hello,
I am new here and need your advice please.

My partner and I have been together for almost 4 years. I first realised how bad his drinking was very early in the relationship when I moved in with him.

Since then I have been increasingly worried about it. He is the original Jeckly and Hyde....when he is good he is so loving and giving and wonderful to spend time with....but when he drinks.......its another man...one I have come to hate!

He has tried to control it....he was drinking port and beer when I first met him....now it has decreased to just light beer....having said that though....the amount is worse than ever, and the behaviours have escalated- the verbal abuse, the put-downs, arguing with my son all the time.......Finally, 2 weeks ago....I was away visiting family and he went on a bender, decided to drive the car and was caught and charged with DUI.

When I came home, he confessed to me about the DUI and finally agreed with me that he is an alcoholic but also told me that he had contacted a detox centre and was going for help. I was so proud of him and so relieved!!

The last two weeks though have been hell, he has been worse than ever before....skipping work, abusing me, just horrible. Finally I BEGGED him to call the centre and get an earlier admission date. He did it......blaming me all the time, saying that it is all about what I want, not what he wants (he had originally put his entry date at a month away!)

So....this Friday....I am taking him to the centre....Its a 3 week programme, I have been told that may not be long enough....he is terrified and I am scared too....its a 1.5 hour drive to get there and I am scared he will try and talk me out of it...I am scared I will cry and make him feel that he cannot leave me....I am so frightened of doing and saying the wrong thing...I am making myself sick.

Any advice you can give...or experiences you can share...woudl be sooo welcome right now. Thanks for letting me share this with you.