View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Baschoen

I agree that relapse is dangerous and we all need to remember the pain and all the bad things that happen when we pick up a drink or a drug, but relapse is part of the disease and remember no one should ever be put down because of a relapse. Im sure most of you know this already but I just wanted that to be said, yes its scary but it can happen and the best way to handle it is to learn from it. AA says all the time progress not perfection. If your relapses can become shorter and farther apart, thats progress. It's important to focus on the tools you didn't use when you relapsed, what caused you to go down that path and what you can work on to make sure it doesn't happen again. Don't be ashamed of a relapse because it will keep you from coming back from the program, I guess thats all I'm trying to say. Relapse isn't a good thing, but no one should be punished for it, its all part of learning to live a completely new life and its scary and sometimes that anxiety can be overwhelming especially for us considered dual diagnosis. I used to make myself feel better when I wasn't feeling well physically and/or emotionally, I went through 6 weeks of treatment and I'm no where near ready to deal with those issues on my own and I probably never will be. Thats why I need meetings and AA. Sorry for the rant I guess my main point is - Obviously do everything you can not to use, but if you DO use go right back to the program you're going to feel ashamed and embarrassed at first but you WILL be accepted back and NO ONE will look down on you. "You don't have to ride the garbage truck all the way to the dump"