View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dairo

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post
I was at a meeting last nite and a man came in after relapsing having been 3 years sober. He had received 40 stitches from injuries to his arms and legs during a black out. He was a mess. I didnt know what to say to him to try to make him feel a little bit more human, but it certainly was a reminder of how relapse is a daily event in the lives of alcoholics and it is the next worst thing to death.

Funny you mentioned a meeting. I had to drag myself to a meeting last night, because I was so exhausted and the big storm was coming, but I did, oh how god works in such mysterious ways. It was the most powerful meeting I have ever been at. A woman walked in after being away for 4 years boozing like crazy, well she left the bar and got an aggrivated DWI, the pain in her face was like looking at myself in a mirror, but this time it wasn't I who had all the pain. A man talked of how he wasn't being honest as he could be in AA and talked of how his wife was going to divorce him after he just got out of rehab and was trying to get his life together, he just did too many horrible things when he was still attached to the bottle, but he didn't drink over this! Even a guy who has 3 years sobriety who was on the verge of ending his life yesterday found his way into the room. I even found out I have more time clean than a man I thought pretty highly of, such strange things happens when the program and God begin to click, very powerful things. Even with today being very, very hard trying to deal with an ex-gf who can be so devastatingly sadistic when she chooses, to having to wait for another week to get my license back because of this storm, I find that the drink rarely crosses my mind, and if it does I use all my tools to kick that idea back fast, and it works! I can't but we can.