Thread: S.O.s
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
blackhorse
Recovered.

I'm looking for input from folks on how Recovery has impacted Significant Other type relationships.

I was in a relationship of 4 1/2 yrs when i came into recovery. By the time i was on step 3 i felt a 'change' in the air, was it him or was it me? a bit of both i believe. He was worried i was going to change, become a boring god lover, not very sexual anymore, more serious,that AA people would be more important than him etc. I had that same sensation as you, like a feeling of loss, i was feeling pretty raw without the alcohol, like a huge black void had opened up in my life. I got to work on my step 4 and started to see that actually the reationship wasn't for me and the amend would be for us both to go our own ways. It was very sad. I loved him but the truth was out.. i had changed for the better but he hadn't changed. I resisted leaving him for a while but it became a challenge to be around him, spiritual principles were just going out the window every 5 minutes with him! Higher power was saying...if you stick with thid guy you WILL drink again. So the relationship is over but i TRUST that what was meant for me. I'm just trying not to fix fix fix all the time lol. Gods will not mine.