Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peter G

I'm with Carol and Kjell both on this one. From 30 days to around 60, I was still hyper aware to change up routines, stay clear of my haunts, let go of my drunk buddies, trying to pay close attention to being healthy. And I also took very long walks, learning meditation to try and quiet my mind.

Having said that, I did all of the above while feeling just like Kjell lol! Was still in a complete fog and didn't trust myself at all. Milestones for me, in the beginning, were something I tried not to think about much at all because when I would hit targets and goals in years past, they were always perfect reasons for getting torn up drunk. So when I hit 30 days I just smiled a bit and then ignored it and kept putting one foot in front of the other. Also did outpatient therapy.

Somewhere between 30 and 60 days I started to truly understand that I was finally on the right track, and that epiphany was something I can't even describe.

Hadn't found AA at that point though, wish I had. Having toughed it out until December (from April) I finally broke down and read the Big Book front to back, and it literally changed the game for me. The program of AA has become a main focus for me since reading the book, and so far the journey has been amazing.