Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
anewdaytosmile

(((rebud)))
I'm so sorry for all you are going thru with your son.

My son (23 years old) has a dual diagnosis. He also said his mental illness is what caused him to use drugs, he was treating it himself. Even though he was going to psychiatrists and pyschologists.

I read a book call "At wits end" it was so helpful for me, I checked it out at my local library, it's about dual diagnosis and treatment. We then did an intervention and gave him the option of going to long term rehab or being out of our lives with no support.

First he went to detox to get clean and sober, and has now been in rehab for 6 months. He also sees a private psychiatrist and psycologist. It's life long disease and when you combine a mental illness, even if cause by head injury, with an addiction, both need to be treated.

I've also been going to al-anon meetings and seeing therapist myself. I hope you can find the help you need both for yourself and for your son.

Right now with him out on the streets it must be so difficult for you. Hopefully he will come to realize that he needs help. But you need to take care of yourself for your daughters and husband.

So one day at a time, let go and let god... And don't forget the serenity prayer, I say it as often as I can.