View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

My "recovery" is fixing my spirit. I'm recovering from the spiritual malady from which I suffered that manifested itself in the form of alcoholism. I'm recovering (and in fact discovering) the life that was always there for me, but which I could not have because I was too busy doing other stuff; being selfish, lying, stealing, cheating, judging, complaining, shirking my responsibilities, drinking till I passed out, missing work...It's a pretty long list.

Once I started working on getting my spirit right, those other things began to go away.

It's funny...The day after my last arrest I had the Moment of Clarity, Epiphany, Divine Intervention (this is my belief), whatever you want to call it, and that led me into the rooms of AA. Of course, AA led me to the Big Book and my Higher Power.

I struggled with the Higher Power thing for a little bit, until I realized my Higher Power was God. So I went from the Big Book to the Bible. And by living each day according to the Bible and God's words, I'm kind of covering all of my AA bases.

Step 1 - Definitely had an unmanageable life.
Step 2 - Power greater than myself? My God is the greatest power there is.
Step 3 - Definitely have turned my life over to God as I understand Him.
Step 4 - The Bible teaches me to constantly take inventory of my wrongdoings.
Step 5 - Confession to God is a major tenet of many religions, including mine.
Step 6 - Definitely glad God is there to remove my defects of character (or forgive my sins).
Step 7 - I ask God every night to forgive me of my sins of that day.
Steps 8 and 9 - The Bible teaches us to ask forgiveness from and repay those whom we have wronged.
Step 10 - The Bible teaches me to ask forgiveness as soon as I have sinned.
Step 11 - The Bible teaches that we should place all faith in God and live our lives in a way that we seek to do His will rather than our own.
Step 12 - The Bible tells me to carry the message of my spiritual awakening (when God came into my life) by words as well as actions to not only all alcoholics, but indeed to all people and every end of the Earth.

Once again, I'm trying to fix my spirit, which had been broken for a long time. I'm recovering for a spiritual malady, and the greatest cure for that, for me, is God. By trying to live my life in accordance to the teachings of His word, I'm also living out the AA program on a daily basis.