Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
redbud

Anaserene ~ WoW! That was alot of good information!
We did have him committed about a month ago, and he was kept at the VA for about 8 days. They had a hearing in the VA and the judge ordered him to stay another 10 days, then there would be another hearing. I did not speak at this hearing, as the judge told me it was not neccessary unless I opposed to him remaining under committment. I said I was not opposed. Well, I was halfway home when my son called and said they were releasing him and wanted me to come pick him up! I asked to speak to the doctor, who got on the phone and said the judge had made his ruling based on the doctors' recomendations, and the doctors' recomendations had changed! I asked what had changed in the past hour, since the hearing, and the doctor said my son had agreed to outpt. therapy and outpt. rehab, and was going to get an apartment and go to school and had a very good plan. I told the doctor it seemed a desperate attempt to get out of there, and I didn't think he would follow through with anything, nor was he capable of living alone or going to school. The doctor kept saying that I needed to support my son and come pick him up. I refused to pick him up, but they did discharge him. (I may have already written all of this in an earlier posting....if so, sorry!)

I did not understand that whole process. I was the one who signed the committment papers, and I did not get to speak at the hearing! I had evidence to present...including pictures I found on MY computer, of him with self-inflicted knife cuts on his face, smiling at the camera with blood running down his face. I also had syringes I had found in his room, and information about guns which I pulled out of his "recycle bin" on the computer.

I agree that at this time he would not be deemed enough of a threat...as there have been no recent suicide notes or tangable threatening plans. The thing is, when someone is so isolative, depressed, and angry, you don't know what is going on in their head until something actually happens.

Thank you again, to all of you who take time to sit and read my lengthy posts, and offer me suggestions and support. I promise to pass it on one day!