View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I know that Laurie also had esophageal varices from liver disease (due to Tylenol damage, if I remember correctly).
Yes it showed up at 14 years sober. My liver was very damaged when I first got sober, but did heal fairly well. However, because I was already have problems with arthritis, I was using Tylenol on a daily basis, to the maximum dose, daily in my sobriety. My liver was down to 22% liver function and at 20% would have been put on the transplant list. However, by stopping the tylenol, changing diet a bit, Dr being very careful what meds were prescribed to me, my liver, being the only organ in the body that can rejuvenate itself, came back up in funtion to 56%. My recent tests show me at 58 to 62% function.

I have had 3 different episodes of Esophageal Varices and they are not fun and do take time to recover from, however, I have had none in the last 12 years or so.

#1 NO NO is NO ALCOHOL. Hopefully your AH will get it, as his head clears and he improves in the hospital.

In the meantime, what are you doing for you? Have you thought of counseling and/or AlAnon? Also a good book to get and read and study is "Co Dependent No More" by Melodie Beattie. It can be found on Amazon at a very reasonable price.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,