View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I think the Third Tradition was a smart move. I know that when I read posts on the Newcomers' forum that are from people primarily interested in recovering from drug addiction, I skim right past them. Not out of any sense of superiority (I've never had a problem with drugs), but rather because I can't relate. Yes, alcohol is a kind of drug, but it is much more socially pervasive than other drugs and the issues are, well, somewhat different. The withdrawal issues are different, the societal pressure to "go ahead and have one" are different (in my world, anyway).

Drug addiction is every bit as tragic as alcoholism. One group isn't any "better" than the other, and nobody sets out to get addicted to either one.

Most of us, I think, find ourselves identifying more with either AA or NA as a primary source of our recovery. I think for the sake of others who are there for the particular issue the group is addressing, it's important to keep the focus on that issue. I have no problem with someone who alludes to his or her drug addiction at an AA meeting, but I don't like it when that person makes his or her share ABOUT the drugs instead of about the alcohol. If you need to share in detail about drugs, I think it's best to either have a sponsor who is equipped to deal with that, or to spend some time in the rooms of NA.

Just my thoughts.