Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mattmathews

My AW and I tried marriage counseling shortly after she got out of rehab. Because now that she was "fixed," she was ready to start working on me! I'm just thankful that I was in Al-anon by then and avoided getting too wrapped up in that particular drama.
So, we did marriage counseling once a week for 5 weeks and then twice a month for a couple of months after that. It didn't fix our marriage...but it helped. We both had the opportunity to talk, with a neutral moderator to nurture the process. We re-learned the art of conversation. I learned about boundaries, detachment, and even learned to be a little more open. We both said a lot of true things to each other that were hard to hear...but they were still true. The whole experience was useful.

My AW still spends a lot of time at AA. She believes that it's important to help her "guard her sobriety." I heard a guy talk about guarding his sobriety and he shared something that happened with his co-alcoholic partner when she tried to get him to choose between her and AA. He said "Without my sobriety, I can't help anyone." Word.