View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
I am glad you guys are doing so well. I would need a fair number of sober years before I would be comfortable with a 'no-plan' plan. At 4 months sober, I work very hard at recovery everyday. I don't feel any cravings or desire to drink, it feels very much like something I used to do, but I do remember the insanity of it. That insanity ran far deeper in me than an intolerance for a type of food. I never ate green peppers until I passed out and then woke up and started eating green peppers again.
It was different when I was newly sober/abstinent. It is hard to quit drinking, there is no doubt about it. I don't want anyone here to think I'm making light of that fact, and I can see how what I wrote would seem flippant. The truth is that I have been sober for many years now and have no need of a plan. My point was really that there is, or can be, a life after the early phase. I see so many people hanging onto the idea that recovery is a lifelong struggle requiring a program or a plan or some sort of formal mechanism to keep it going. Certain recovery programs are geared towards this idea while others are not. SMART Recovery in particular is not. If I had to get sober again, I would use SMART Recovery as my support group.

I really am sorry if I seemed flippant before.

OTT