Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

When I was with partners in early recovery (two times--different men), I didn't keep alcohol in the house, and for awhile at least I didn't drink in front of them. Later, when my first husband was feeling on more solid ground, he didn't mind if I drank at a party or when we were out, socially, but I tried not to overdo it.

I'm in recovery now, myself, but I live alone. When I first got sober I would not have appreciated having booze in the house, or having to be intimate with someone who had alcohol on his breath. While I don't particularly enjoy drinking occasions, it doesn't bother me to watch others drink. (I mostly find it boring.)

My suggestion is that you try in the beginning not to do anything that will make him terribly uncomfortable so far as alcohol is concerned. Don't push him to go to parties if he doesn't want to go, and if it bothers him to smell it on you, try to avoid that as well. Apart from that, go out with your friends as you like.

This sensitivity on his part is most likely temporary. You say you love him and want to support his recovery, so a little consideration on your part here will go a long way.