Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Floss View Post
I lost a lot of my life, especially with exAH, not even being 'allowed' to attend my sister's wedding.
Oh gosh! I "couldn't go" to my best friend's wedding because XABF scheduled some giant prepaid activity every single weekend. He also blew up when I mentioned that I wanted to go to the wedding (I did phrase it as if he wasn't coming with me, but it was less than a year into our relationship, and he'd made it clear he didn't want to be around any of my relatives no matter what, so of course I didn't think he'd want to go), and he made it impossible to go try on the bridesmaids dresses within the timeframe she needed to pick them. (Yes, that's right, I was going to be in the wedding.)

I guess the answer here depends. If he is expecting you to put your entire life on hold while he works on his "recovery," I would say no. You need to work on your recovery, too, and part of that involves taking care of yourself, not isolating yourself.
If his request is simply that you not drink at home, or even that you don't drink in social settings (but has no issue with you going - you could always have a soda or something), and he's working diligently on his recovery, I'd consider his proposal.

Ultimately, the decision is yours.