View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Supercrew

I know this might sound kind of silly, but our brains work in strange ways. Saying "I can't" puts a negative connotation on what you are trying to accomplish. It's a self defeating term. Normally if someone tells me you "can't" do this or that, my first reaction is to show them I can accomplish it.

I know it is symantics, but instead of facing your alcohol issue with the statement "I can't drink ever again", replaced it with the thought that I don't want to drink ever again", Or "I will stay sober today". If you want to drink you will, but instead of focusing on it like it's a negative thing in your life, focus on the positive. When you are able to change the words "can't", to "won't or "don't want to", all of the sudden its not a limitation that is being put on you, it is a decision you are making for yourself. This attitude has helped to empower me. Although these are just words, your brain will react differently and it will helped to change your thought process.

Anytime the phrase "you can't......." my first reaction, (being the hard headed person I am) No one is going to tell me I can't do it! Most of us are here at SR because we don't want to continue drinking our lives away. I wish someone would have challenged me along time ago and said "You can't stay sober", then all of the sudden my mind would switch gears and lifelong sobriety would be the challenge.

Lastly once you realize you aren't missing anything by not drinking beside hangovers and a bunch of other problems by not drinking it seems kind of funny how much we romantacize drinking. If I were to tell you, "You can't eat the rat poison", would it really be that big of a deal? In fact I will go a step further and say "You can't eat the rat poison for the rest of your life, because if you do you most likely will end up in the hospital and eventually die", would you start craving it all of the sudden and be upset about it? No, you would say "I know, rat poison could kill me and doesn't make my life better". My example might be a little far fetched, but I'm sure you get the point.

Stay strong, and remember it's just your alcoholic brain playing tricks on you. If I said you can never shoot heroin again, must people who aren't heroin addicts wouldn't have a problem with that, but tell that to a heroin addict and his head might explode. It all has to do with your outlook.