View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Well, I don't like to say this very often - because I don't want to say something that will harm some people - but I think that some people need to keep going until they are ready to "get it" and stop. I was the type who didn't have people around to exercise any influence or bring on a desire to quit of any kind. I had thought about the need to quit for close to 10 years, and of course thought about the desire to control it in the earlier days. I heard and felt stuff going on in my insides and wondered for a few years whether I would be in for real trouble. (One of the things I would think about routinely was how long I might live, like on my way into the shower.) And the pleasure was hardly there anymore (the buzz).

So I guess if you are the type of person who needs to go until you are ready (but without dying or getting locked up somewhere if you are lucky), and if that time is in the works now, then it would do some good to say out loud that you can't drink; that you might be dead soon; etc. I told myself I was not going to debate or ignore it anymore, like I was supposed to be some unique individual who was dealt the wrong cards; I was going with "I'm an alcoholic," and that I had this situation for life. That made it easy enough to grab the decision to quit and then not go back. I don't expect it would "easy" for anyone, but the quitting part was not anywhere near as difficult as I expected. Temptation to go back was no where near as difficult either. What I didn't expect was to feel so much depression afterward. That's the tough part. But there is a lot of good too, and I place the onus on me to be in charge of dealing with it.