Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MsPINKAcres
Living in a Pinkful Place

Ways to Protect You, Your Home & Your Resources

My Friends - since I have yet to find the "How to Protect Yourself Handbook" to be given to parents/family/friends of those who are affected by the disease of alcoholism/addiction ~ I believe it is always great for the members of SR to share their e, s, & h for us to learn how to safe guard ourselves, prevent futher damage to our lives and help us feel safe.

Over the years, I have gotten many suggestions on how to do these things - thought it might be helpful to have a list of these things on one thread that maybe some of our newer members might would like to read and when they are ready they could take these actions

~ As always, when You are ready ~
Everyone must recovery and progress on their own timeframe.

So please, add your safety measures to the list - please know it is not to be mean, harmful or angry - it is just what I personally have learned that turned out to be healthier for ME and allows the addict/alcoholic the opportunity to seek something better for themselves. . .

1. I contacted my pharmacy - My picture ID is required anytime I pick-up a prescription. No one is allowed to get my prescription for me.

2. My Dr's ofc knows to not call in any medication for me unless I specificially call for it. No one else in my family will call for me.

3. All my meds (even non-narcotic) are locked in a safe.

4. I use a small, locally owned bank - the tellers would know if someone besides me tried to withdraw money from my account. (I made sure to become their friend

5. My windows are locked always and so are the doors - and no extra key kept outside.

6. My extra checks stay locked in my filing cabinet at work instead of my home.

7. All phones, bills, video rental places, credit cards, etc. no one can be added without prior approval from me, in person with photo id.

This is just to name a few - what do you do to protect yourself - what would you suggest to the newcomer??????

PINK HUGS to all