View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dancingnow

changes in spending time with friends

In the last year since AH and I have separated it seems my whole life has totally changed and besides all the stuff with AH, I am having a hard time feeling connected to friends that probably mean well but just don't get it.

I am still sorting myself out and it is really difficult to meet and chat and catch up with friends that don't have a clue about what A does to a person and to a family.

I was SAHM a year ago and even though I was dependent on AH for over 10 years I managed to get myself into a decent job this last year and am glad not to have that worry over my head. Even so, it has been a big change for my 3 kids, my youngest is 9 and oldest 17.

I am lucky to have flexibility in my workplace to deal with some family stuff during the week but do not have the time I had before to meet with friends. Also getting together to chat just doesn't seem to have the same appeal that it did before.

I almost feel sick to my stomach thinking about it. When I think of some particular friends it always seem we got together and they were full of chatty complaints. I feel like I won't be able to put up with with the usual husband not helping around the house or pre-teen mouthing off issues like I used to. (It was always a little difficult to put up with before but I think it will be worse now.)

When I have issues with my kids I want to hear from other folks who know what kind of environment my kids are dealing with, what it means to not have a partner and how difficult it can all get when you are wrapping your head around where did my life go/how do I let go of the dream/etc...

I find I just want to do new things, try different things or be by myself.

I don't know if I am just feeling that this week since I have been getting emails from some friends wanting to get together to catch up or maybe I'm as codependent to my friends as I was with AH and I'm trying to get away from that.

Anyone else finding they need to spend less time with old friends?